Welcome! For my musical growth project, I decided that I would learn the piano. First I decided to learn how to read bass clef. Being a band student of strictly treble clef instruments I never learned how to read bass clef. Since piano music is written in both bass clef and treble clef I decided that it would be a good idea to learn bass clef. I did this pretty quickly as I just memorized the lines using “Good Bikes Don’t Fall Apart” and the spaces using “All Cows Eat Grass”. Next, I decided to learn the keys on the piano and which note they are. This took a little more practice as I told myself I would be able to differentiate the notes easily just by looking at them. I learned the trick that the first key on the piano is A. Any key that is to the left of two black keys next to each other with one white key in between is a C. This proved to be a lot easier to learn than I thought it would be. I got ahead of my targeted dates on my growth plan for learning bass clef and the notes on the piano. Next, I started to learn Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky. I searched some easier songs to learn on the piano and Swan Lake was one of the songs that came up. I had heard this song before so I figured that I would try to learn it. The first time playing through was very difficult, but I am optimistic that it will get easier.

Photo by Julia Jin on Unsplash