Genius Hour Project

This is a project that I completed for EDCI 338. This post includes the PDF and video explanation of a lesson plan on biomes for a grade four classroom, as well as all of the resources required. The lesson involves students creating a video on Flip to answer questions about biomes and also answering a question posed by their peers through a Flip video response. By using partner work and posting on Flip, student collaboration and connectedness are being valued and enhanced.

1. maeganb789

Hi Kylie!
    This is a great lesson! I really like how you have students leave out one question for their peers to respond to. I think this is a great way to encourage collaboration in learning about each biome. I wonder if this lesson could also be done on tiktok?

Thanks for sharing 🙂

2. misterbondy

Thanks for your post, Kylie, I enjoyed watching your video and reading through your lesson! I like how you are incorporating the use of video responses to discuss interesting facts about biomes. I also like how students can work together in groups in both face-to-face and online interactions. If there was something I would add to the lesson it would be to include a trivia question, or something similar to 2 truths and a lie about biomes, that students could add to their videos to encourage responses that tap into their sense of curiosity and wonder. My question is: what are your feelings about incorporating the Drama curriculum to have students dress up as an animal, use props or visual aids, as part of their videos? Could this extend into animal adaptations? Thanks for your work in putting this together!

3. gsumners

Hi Kylie! I’ve been loving flipgrid the past couple weeks and this is a great example of how we can incorporate it seamlessly into the classroom. I do wonder if there could be a bit more room for student choice or free inquiry with their biomes. Thanks for sharing your lesson.

4. cwheeler

Hi Kylie!
    Great lesson plan, I really like how students are getting the opportunity to share their learning as well as learn from each other using Flip. It reminds me a lot of what we had the opportunity to with many readings/topics within edci 3338, which was very helpful as you could reflect on your own learning as well as expand your understanding through interacting with other students. I wonder how you would encourage students to comment in a way that each video gets a comment? Would you consider creating groups as we had in this course to ensure each video is interacted with?